It’s the home stretch run for the 2017 Elkhart County 4-H Fair and there’s a trio of attractions for fans. It’s set to be a gorgeous day with lots of bright sunshine and a high temperature expected around 80.
Friday, July 28, is Green Earth Education Day with a variety of activities in Heritage Park beginning at 10 a.m. It’s also auction day in the livestock arenas and the annual rodeo competition is set for two shows — 1 p.m. and 8 p.m. All grandstand events are free of charge.
A long week — and season — for 4-H’ers hits its peak with the auction in the Sheep/Swine Arena. The day begins early at 9 a.m. with sheep in the west end of the arena and the grand finale is the beef auction at 6:30 p.m.
A year ago, with 1,078 lots, the community gave 4-H youth a total of $1,154,15.28 from the auction.
4-H Auction lineup:
- 9:15 a.m. — Rabbits, Sheep/Swine Arena east end
- 11 a.m. — Goats, Sheep/Swine Arena west end
- 11:15 a.m. — Poultry, Sheep/Swine Arena east end
- 1 p.m. — Swine, Sheep/Swine Arena west end
- 1:30 p.m. — Milk, Sheep/Swine Arena east end
- 2 p.m. — Dairy feeder calves, Sheep/Swine Arena east end
- 6:30 p.m. — Beef, Beef/Dairy Arena
SCHEDULE: A full schedule of the day’s events around the 4-H Fairgrounds can be found at www.4hfair.org.
What you should know about Day 7:
- K9 Crew Trick Dog Show, 2 p.m., 5 p.m., 7 p.m. — A comedic collection of dog skits and stunts at the Family Entertainment Center
- Pirates of the Colombian Caribbean, 2 p.m., 4 p.m., 8 p.m. — High-wire pirate themed performances at the Jayco Family Fun Center
- Timberworks Lumberjack Show, 3 p.m, 6 p.m., 8 p.m. — The power and skill of some of the nation’s top lumberjacks at the Hollyhock Entertainment Center.
- Handicap parking is available at Gate 2 and Gate 7, with permit displayed
- Bicycle and motorcycle parking located near Gate 2. Bikes are not permitted within the inner grounds of the Fair.
- Parking trams are available on the fairgrounds and are free of charge. Trams operate daily from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m in the east parking area.
- Wheelchair rental is available at the 4-H Fair office.
- Designated smoking areas are available.