As we count down the remaining days, hours and minutes to opening day of the Elkhart County 4-H Fair, here’s a countdown of new (and new-ish) fair foods to try this year!
10. A new food booth located near Heritage Park has a good ol’ fashioned reuben sandwich on their menu. This tasty grilled sandwich composed of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and dressing, grilled between slices of rye bread.
9. But wait, there’s more. Twinning with the reuben is a soul-satisfying grilled cuban sandwich. Yep, we’re in.
8. We made it all the way to No. 8 without a mention of fried dough, but this scrumptious churro is a chocolate-lovers dream. Look no further than 4-H Poultry Club’s concession booth dubbed “The Coop.”
7. You know those fabulous apple fitter funnel cakes? Best Around Concession is embracing the fruit flavors, while branching out for fans of citrus. Give the lemon poppyseed elephant ear a try and let us know what you think!
6. So you’ve heard of Oreos on a stick. And you know that mint and chocolate go together like, well, mint and chocolate. Picture this: Deep-fried mint chocolate Oreos on a stick. Yes, oh yes. Thank you Best Around Concessions for making this pairing a reality!
5. If you ask the folks at www.pizza.com (which we did, for this very moment), they’ll tell you the average American eats about 46 slices of pizza a year. That seems a little low to us, but if you’re running behind on your pizza pie goal, Rulli’s pizza has you covered. Stop Gate 2, where they’ll be making pies on site. That’s new!
4. There’s nothing quite as satisfying as crunching a perfectly fried bite of shrimp and our friends at Maple City Kiwanis have this delicious snack meal-ready with a side of chips in their shrimp basket.
3. OK, so technically Bounthanh’s isn’t new to Food Row. But we are excited to have them back with a new, bright red concession trailer and a new owner! This popular stop for all things Chinese missed the 2018 fair, but will make a return this year with the same great recipes.
2. OK, we’re doing it again. Technically, Maple Indian Cuisine isn’t new to the fair either, but they do have a new location! Look for their food truck at Heritage Park and once you take a bite, you’ll be thanking us for including them on this list.
1. Lastly, a shameless plug for one final not-exactly-new-but-oh-so-exciting food option. Stop by on during $5 First Friday to sink your teeth into one of these delicious options, available for $5 each ONLY on Friday, July 19! We’ll get you started with a short list below, but CLICK HERE for a full list of $5 First Friday foods.
- The Best Around: $5 elephants ears, funnel cakes, jumbo corn dogs, saratoga chips, fried cheese, and fruit smoothies
- Goshen Kiwanis: $5 steak burger and fries
- The Donut Family: $5 bag of mini donuts
- Withers Concessions: The ENTIRE MENU is $5!
- Pretzel Wagon: $5 white or wheat pretzels
The 2019 Elkhart County 4-H Fair, “4-H: The Information Highway to the Future” runs July 19-27. For more information go to www.4hfair.org, @ElkhartCo4HFair on Twitter or www.facebook.com/elkhartcounty4Hfair.